A recent survey conducted by Common Sense Advisory, the language industries most respected consultancy group, shows that customers overwhelmingly prefer to conduct business in their own language. They surveyed 2,430 web consumers in eight countries. They found:
- 72.1% of consumers spend most or all of their time on websites in their own language.
- 72.3% of consumers said they would be more likely to buy a product with information in their own language.
- 56.2% of consumers said that the ability to obtain information in their own language is more important than price.
- Nine out of ten Internet users said that, when given a choice of languages, they always visited a website in their own language.
- Nearly one in five Europeans (19%) said they never browse in a language other than their own.’
- 42% said they never purchase products and services in other languages.
- More than half of consumers are willing to pay more if you are willing to give them information in their own languages.
- If you assume your customers speak you language well enough to skip the translation step, you’re wrong.